Can’t you just spray or wipe something
to kill the mold ?
NO ! The human body reacts to the mycotoxins produced by many molds as a defense mechanism against other molds. These mycotoxins are present in viable live AND dead mold spores and mold structures.
There is a widely accepted standard written for proper remediation of mold contamination. This standard is the “IICRC S520 – Standard Guide and Reference for Professional Mold Remediation”. This 176 page, ANSI Certified, document is the most fully accepted written standard for mold remediation within the remediation industry – world wide. In this document the proscribed method of remediation is REMOVAL of mold development. Anything less is not fully addressing the possible impact that may be present in a loss in the future.
Another misconception is that you can “seal’ mold to a surface using an encapsulant – a non-permeable painted or sprayed on material that binds the mold into the surface it has been growing on. This type of remediation is expressly warned against in the IICRC S520 due to the ability of the encapsulant to breakdown over time, and once again allow spore release into the airs surrounding the original loss.
Some remediation companies push a spray-on application of an anti-microbial (or other “magic bullet” type substances and methods) as a cheaper way to deal with mold. Some even tell you that their ozone or high heat treatment will take care of mold. These methods do not address the removal of mold growth – only killing or trapping it. Killing or trapping mold is NOT enough. Mold must be REMOVED from the indoor living environment to be a safe and complete remediation of the problem. Time will NOT make mold spore “go away”. Spores can (and do) lay dormant for over the course of thousands of years - waiting for proper environmental conditions for them to grow. Viable spores have been found alongside the mummified carcases of Woolly Mammoths in Asia and in Antarctic ice hundreds of feet deep
A regrowth, or spore release is the most likely outcome of improperly treating a mold problem while trying to keep cost down as the only concern. In the long run, the end result of “doing it on the cheap” will be much higher costs in readdressing the problem properly later.
Use of a trained, expert inspection team and properly trained remediation contractor is the ONLY proper way to deal with a larger loss.
Larger in this case does not mean the area covered, but the stage of development present in the mold growth.
A large loss will have readily airborne spore releases present.
Even for small losses we recommend the use (minimally) of a properly trained and experienced remediator.
The only way to properly control costs is to do the job right the first time !
Download This Information
While these “quick fixes” may be easier and cheaper, they are going to be a problem at some time in the future if used as sole remediation actions. They may, however, be used as part of a comprehensive remediation plan that fully addresses the complete impact within a loss.