Download This Information
Is it the
“BAD” mold ?
ALL molds can cause a physical reaction to someone. It’s a simple matter of
The species or family of mold that won’t affect me can be instantly reactive to you or a member of your family – even pets. Like an allergy, each individual has his or her own level of sensitivity or tolerance. The biology of an individual’s body dictates which, if any, molds will cause a physical reaction and how severe that reaction will be. Adding to the mix is the commonly held medical premise that our bodies become more sensitized and more likely to react with repeated or prolonged exposures – you don’t want mold living with you.
Living with any type of mold within a structure will consistently expose your body to the mycotoxins used by many molds as a defense mechanism to take a food source away from an already developed “lesser” mold.
These mycotoxins are natural chemicals present in both live and dead mold spores and are generally the source of the body’s reaction to molds. After a water loss of even minor proportions, given the right conditions, some mold types can begin to develop in as few as 48 hours in the typical living environment found in our homes and offices. Some mold species, however, can take as long as weeks to develop.
The spores of molds (mold’s ‘seed’) secrete these mycotoxins in order to ‘grab’ a food source away from a quicker developing species of mold. If a food source is not readily available to the later developing molds. In their best imitation of a “Machiavellian Opera”, they just poison the quicker developing mold with their mycotoxins and move in on the food source that they had once been occupying. Generally - The longer a mold takes to develop - the stronger the mycotoxins are that they produce. That’s why the so called “black mold”, Stachybotrys, has gotten to be such a concern in the media. It has one of the longest development cycles and produces one of the strongest mycotoxins. If Stachy is found in data from an inspection it’s also a strong indicator that a mold growth has been present in a structure for a prolonged time period. As a result we have a ‘zero tolerance level’ for Stachy when found.
Molds are part of mother nature’s clean-up crew, and need to be present in nature to get rid of all the ‘nastys’ that would cause us even more health problems if left to go away on their own. Molds are naturally present outdoors, even in our desert environment. Molds normally only present a problem to humans when they intrude on our indoor environment.
Given the normal reactive conditions of the
More severe reactions occur with prolonged or repeated exposure…
Unknown sensitivity levels and varied reactions for every individual means that everyone will react to mold differently…
In your indoor environment No Mold Is Good Mold!